Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Countertop update

If you're looking for a cheap and easy fix for an ugly bathroom countertop I've got a solution for ya! 
 
This is a little half bath/laundry room. I figured it was the perfect spot to try out this spray paint technique because if it was an epic fail, I would just yank out the vanity altogether! But I love the sink and even the weird faucet. I'll clean up and paint the bottom cabinets but for now, the countertop...
 
First, I cleaned the countertop and even sanded it a bit to scratch it up so the paint had something to adhere to. Then I taped it all off. I mean everything. I covered the new toilet, new floors, everything because there is a lot of overspray.
 
To fix this corner I used a few layers of joint compound. That stuff is magic to me! Then I used Rustoleum texture spray paint and starting spraying it on. There aren't a lot of color choices but hey, anything seemed better than this blue. I've seen people use the "stone" spray paint and that's what I was going to buy but decided to try this instead. Light coats is the key here. It dries fast so it's easy to get it all done in a short time. I did open a window and have a fan blowing fumes outside because it is a bit strong but the odor doesn't hang around long, unlike some other products and projects round here (like the tub and tile kit I used on my shower!) 

Once I had it all covered evenly I let it dry for about 2 days before sealing it with about 3 coats of polycrylic. 
 
Tada!!!! Not bad for about $16 which was 2 cans of paint. I already had the tape, plastic sheeting and poly so it was a cheap fix! Now to fix that last corner of flooring and paint the base. But like everything else around here there are a million half started projects. 
 
 Here's that corner I fixed. I'm certain it's not contractor worthy but it's Lissa worthy and that's what counts! And sorry bout the trash can in the pic

What do y'all think?

No comments:

Post a Comment